[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: horde/lib Util.php

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Sep 17 03:00:28 PDT 2003

> >   Log:
> >   This is the first version of the Util:: class. The history
> information
> >   comes from a repository copy of Horde.php.
>
> I understand the semantic distinction of these two things (though, it
> makes it
> tempting to rename Horde to something like Horde_Framework, or Framework,
> or

As the methods of these both classes are the most used in the whole project,
I'd rather like to keep them as short as possible though still descriptive.
And I think that's what they are. Util handles several stuff (Misc might
have been a good name too) useful for all kind of classes and applications,
while Horde contains all the methods specific to the Horde framework.

> whatever). And Util:: is a pretty broad category; we should see how
> widespread
> the methods in here are and subclass it/re-categorize some of them if
> necessary
> (a Web:: class or something similar is a possibility).

Yes, that might be the next step. But for now I'm happy with separating
these both (see below).

> Are the functions defined in Util.php now *not* used anywhere? If not,

Huh?

> I'd like
> to see both classes remain in the same file.

The idea is to make a Util package that contains stuff like Util.php and
String.php that can be registered as a dependency for other packages. The
next steps are to remove Horde specific stuff from the other Horde classes
as far as possible, so that people can download a package they need,
together with the Util package as a dependency but without the burden of
Horde's configurations, preferences, registry or similar.

Jan.