[dev] comments

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Sep 18 02:20:26 PDT 2003

I didn't want to comment *g* on this because I don't have a strong opinion.
But, hey.

> Quoting Marko Djukic <mdjukic at horde.org>:
>
> > // Some comment...
> > // next line of comment.
>
> I prefer this one for easy wrapping, readability, etc.

I like this for one line comments because they are fast to write. They also
make sense for the configuration files where you wanna comment single lines
in and out.
I don't like this for multiline comments because you have to type three
chars for every new line.

> > eg. we have a mix at the moment:
> > /* Some comment...
> >  * next line of comment. */
>
> This one is my next favorite.

This one is the most "beautiful" and readable for multiline comments. Not
bad for single lines too if we want consistency (actually the same for
single lines like the next).

> > /* Some comment...
> >    next line of comment. */
>
> This one I don't like so much, especially inline, but you know what? As
> long as
> we're consistent inside classes/files/blocks of code, I don't think this
> matters so much.

These are definitely the fastest for multiline comments but probably
shouldn't be used if not for commenting out blocks of code.

Jan.