[dev] Moving towards packages and Horde 3

Jon Parise jon at horde.org
Thu Sep 18 15:34:54 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:52:51AM -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> - In tarball distributions, HORDE_LIBS will be modified to point to horde/lib/
> (*with* the trailing slash), to use the tarball distributed libraries.

Is this our tarball distribution (as in, not a PEAR package tarball)?

> - Sites will also be able to define HORDE_LIBS (and HORDE_BASE) in an
> auto_prepend_file (or other manner) if desired, to use an alternate location of
> Horde and its libraries. These constants will *not* be overridden by core.php
> and application-level base.php files if they are already present.

That sounds good.  It might be nice to allow HORDE_LIBS to be set via
an environmental variable, as well.

The PEAR installer now has the capability to perform automake-style
@token@ expansion in source files.  It would be trivial to get a
package.xml file to expand @HORDE_LIBS@ to the appropriate path at
install-time.

> - Most of the content of horde/libs (except for core.php, version.php, base.php,
> and api.php, possibly a few more) will be moved (cvs repo copied) into a new
> module called 'framework'.

Please elaborate.  Will 'framework' be a top-level module in the CVS
sense?

> - Tarball distributions will have all of the classes in the frameworks module
> (and, possibly, all PEAR classes that we rely on) bundled into horde/lib.

You mean tarball distributions of Horde, yes (not our applications)?

> I think that's it for this step. Feedback is welcome, especially from the
> viewpoint of developers and sites who want to be able to virtualhost many Horde
> installations with a single codebase, or to use a custom location for Horde.

I think the schema you propose will fulfill all of those goals nicely.

It would be nice to document the new organization scheme on the web
site once it's adopted.  That will make it conceptually easier for
users to understand the system's layout.

--
Jon Parise (jon at horde.org) :: The Horde Project (http://horde.org/)