[dev] Re: Moving towards packages and Horde 3

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Sep 21 07:48:54 PDT 2003

> Why not moving them to framework/Horde_*/ in the same step? Assumed we fix
> the problem described below.

No reason, other than taking our trauma one step at a time. :)

> While I think it's good idea to move to the PEAR CVS layout for the
> framework packages, we now suffer from the same problem that exists when
> developing PEAR packages: the paths of the development tree don't match the
> paths of the install tree.
>
> We have SVG.php in framework/XML_SVG/ while we expect it to be in HORDE_LIBS
> . 'XML/SVG.php'. Thus we can't develop in the framework module while seeing
> live changes but instead have to develop in the install location and then
> copy the changes over to the framework module to commit it.
>
> Or am I missing an obvious solution?

Symlinks, but eww. :) I waffled on this too. On the one hand, being able to just
point at a framework checkout for development makes a lot of sense, but then we
run into the mess that we currently have in horde/lib/, with XML files all over
the place. It becomes trickier to keep packages seperate from each other, the
top-level directory tree is messier, the package.xml files have to have other
tricks done for pathnames, etc.

I'm not seeing a good solution that handles both problems well. Other ideas?
Comments? I'm willing to switch it back if people would rather.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
Born right the first time.