[dev] Re: Moving towards packages and Horde 3

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at bellavista.cz
Fri Sep 26 14:35:27 PDT 2003

# jan at horde.org / 2003-09-21 13:43:38 +0200:
> While I think it's good idea to move to the PEAR CVS layout for the
> framework packages, we now suffer from the same problem that exists when
> developing PEAR packages: the paths of the development tree don't match the
> paths of the install tree.
>
> We have SVG.php in framework/XML_SVG/ while we expect it to be in HORDE_LIBS
> . 'XML/SVG.php'. Thus we can't develop in the framework module while seeing
> live changes but instead have to develop in the install location and then
> copy the changes over to the framework module to commit it.
>
> Or am I missing an obvious solution?

    yes, make(1) :)

    all software we write here uses Makefiles for installations.
    it slows the development cycle a bit, but it's not so bad after all,
    and the confidence one gets from automated installs (and thus
    guaranteed correct file ownerships/permissions) outweighs it by a
    large margin, especially for websites with frequent updates, and
    resulting reinstalls, done by various people with varying levels of
    cli skills.

    getting your favorite editor to invoke make is a matter of a bit of
    scripting (assuming your favorite editor is not notepad).