[dev] chora: subversion support, MIME handling...

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at bellavista.cz
Mon Oct 13 06:53:30 PDT 2003

# chuck at horde.org / 2003-10-13 00:30:58 -0400:
> Quoting Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser at bellavista.cz>:
> > Checkout display 'prettification' ignores files without extensions
> > like Makefiles, because MIME_Magic() doesn't even consider such files,
> > and chora thus calls MIME_Magic::extToMIME() instead of potentially[1]
> > more useful MIME_Magic::filenameToMIME(). The fix belongs to MIME_Magic,
> > what do you want it to look like?  BTW, this is a regression:
> > http://lists.horde.org/archives/chora/Week-of-Mon-20020722/003314.html
>
> I'll commit some fixes to Chora to use filenameToMIME(), but we need the
> MIME_Magic code to be able to support extension-less entries. Any nice way of
> doing that would be great.

    I've been thinking about this, and my opinion is that the best
    behavior is what I saw used by vim's filetype-guessing code:

    1. /full/path/basename.extension
    2. basename.extension
    2. extension

    each method should have it's own mapping table.

    what you use to match the filename (preg_match(), glob(), whatever)
    is not that important (of course, PCRE provides the most flexibility)

    1. might look strange, but is actually quite useful, Imagine a
    cvs/svn repository with

    /module-with-asm-code/foo.inc <- assembler code
    /module-with-php-code/foo.inc <- PHP code

    this assumes an application can install its own entries in the
    mapping tables; I see no reason it shouldn't be possible.

    what do you think? I can come up with a patch tomorrow or the next
    day if you ok this approach.