[dev] Links API + performance

Bo Daley bo at tilda.com.au
Tue Oct 14 18:07:13 PDT 2003

> 1. Ditch the SQL driver/serialization for links, and rewrite it to use
> categories (and category_attributes for what's currently serialized).
>
> 2. Make sure that Turba (and other apps) have batch-fetching api calls, where
> you can pass in an array of ids, and get back the info you need for all of
> them.
>
> That should reduce the load to 2 api calls, even for 500 clients, which, with
> some careful coding, should result in only 2-4 SQL calls.

2-4 SQL calls sounds like quite an improvement!

I'll take a look at it and see what I can come up with. I'm not too familiar
with the categories stuff but it does sound like the way to go (especially as
the attributes are separated out into their own category_attributes table
rather than being serialized in the main table).

thanks for the tips.

bo.