[dev] Tip for high-load Horde/IMP installation

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Thu Nov 13 06:44:44 PST 2003

Hi,

I am not quite sure if the dev mailing is the right place for this post,
but the most knowledgeable people seem to hang here.  If this is
inappropriate, let me know and I will go elsewhere.

I have a large Horde/IMP deplyement scheluded within a month.  We are
talking about a potential of 60K users (although I believe only a small
subset of them will use the webmail portal), with acces to IMP, Turba,
Ingo and Gollem.

The webmail portal will be runned on two machine (dual Xeon 2.8, 4GB of
RAM) behind LVS.  Only SSL connection will be accepted.  Connection
affinity will be set, so each connection will be always redirected to
the same server; thus, session will be stored on file locally.
Authentication is done via IMP thru IMAP (on localhost).  Prefs will be
stored in MySQL on a third machine.  These machine will also be running
an MTA and an IMAP daemon (Cyrus Murder).

I would like to hear about people experience for tweaking Apache, PHP
and Horde for such high load.  I know Horde can be quite ressource
intensive, so every little bit will help I suppose.  In particulair, the
various setting of php.ini are not very familiar to me so if there is
something important to check there, I'd like to know about it.

All your comments and insights are welcome.  Thanks !

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com