[dev] Gollem - Preferences for multiple files upload

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 20 15:23:29 PST 2003

Quoting Ron Cooper <rcooper at jamesconeyisland.com>:

> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:
>

> | The trick is to design a UI with minimal preferences that most people
> | will like/find easy to use.  So is the file upload patch that critical
> | to obtaining this goal?  In my personal opinion, no.  If there is
> | overwhelming support for this patch my view may change.
> |

> Well the trick is for the person or group who deploys this software to
> give end users a sane set of options with the rest of them locked down to
> some default value.

Sounds like you want a configuration option then, and not a preference.

> I would never argue that more options is better in
> the context of the 'end user', but the folks responsible for deployment
> should probably have a wealth of options from which to choose, if for
> nothing else, not having to bastardize the code to their own versions.

This is what configuration options do, as opposed to preferences.  They
also have some advantages like not using the database, etc.  But they still
cause a variable evaluation, so they still do cut into performance to
some degree.

> Am I the only one who sees this happening as a bad thing for Horde/Imp?

What happening?

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics