[dev] Hiding Help entries

John Morrissey jwm at horde.net
Tue Nov 25 08:49:57 PST 2003

It would be nice to automatically hide Help entries if the corresponding
functionality/preference is disabled. For example, we disable PGP and S/MIME
support for our users by disabling and locking the preference.

What would be the best way to implement this? Maybe something like:

<depends on="prefName">
  <entry id="foo">
    <!-- [...] -->
  </entry>
</depends>

This would also be useful if you want to hide parts of a Help entry based on
prefs or configuration, for example:

<entry id="foo">
  <para>Foo does cool stuff.</para>

  <depends on="pgp">
    <para>You can encrypt your cool stuff.</para>
  </depends>
</entry>

If prefName is disabled (and locked?), Help:: will ignore this
entry/section at parse time.

Would Help entries need to be disabled based on something other than
preferences? conf.php settings?

john
--
John Morrissey          _o            /\         ----  __o