[dev] category performance

Ben Chavet ben at chavet.net
Wed Dec 10 22:45:51 PST 2003

Ok, I'm trying to wrap my brain around how the whole category system works.
What I'd really like to figure out, is why when there are about 50 galleries in
ansel, it takes *forever* for my server to display them.  I think I've traced
it down to Category_sql::getCategoryAttributes($cid), but I don't really see
any way to make it any faster. It appears to be line 677 that is making things
slow, but that's a database query...gotta have that.  Of course, I could be way
off here.

I reallize that I don't have a very fast server, but I would hope it could get
acceptable performance from 50 galleries.  It takes about 30 seconds for it to
even start sending the page.

If anybody has any good ideas on how to make the categories faster (in
particular, getting a list of shares), please speak up!

Thanks,
Ben