[dev] Seeking Documentation/Error Advice

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Thu Dec 11 07:36:06 PST 2003

There has been some concern over the new horde metar block, namely that there
isn't any documentation about the requirement of pear's Services_Weather
module or the need to run the buildMetarDB script. If either of these
requirements isn't  met, it doesn't fail gracefully.

I'm looking for advice on how to handle this.

Where should the need for Services_Weather be documented? I could add a check
to test.php, but it isn't really required for horde to function. If the system
isn't going to use the metar block, Services_Weather isn't needed.

I guess I could return an error if the buildMetarDB script hasn't been run (and
hence, the location tables don't exist), or would it be better to display a
meaningful message (something like "the buildMetarDB script must be run to
place the location tables in the horde database").

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments/suggestions.

--
Rick Emery

 you will always long to return"
                                              -- Leonardo Da Vinci