[dev] Release Engineering: Versions

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Dec 12 18:19:56 PST 2003

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> > Because those are CVS-based snapshots, I like the existing standard of
> > using the CVS branch name in the filename.  HEAD is the CVS standard,
> > so we should stick with it.
>
> The point was we *don't* put the cvs name in the filename for HEAD, only
> for RELENG.  We should put it in both.

I definitely agree with this point.

> > I suppose we could find a way to provide a DEV branch as an alias to
> > HEAD, though.
>
> I'm not sure that wouldn't cause more confusion rather than less.

I agree. We can probably do a better job of explaining branches and putting
either summaries of those explanations, or a link to them, in README files in
the relevant bits of the FTP server.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"I'm really... I'm not too fascinated by green food." - Average Joe