[dev] Seeking Documentation/Error Advice

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Dec 12 20:15:42 PST 2003

Quoting Rick Emery <rick at emery.homelinux.net>:

> Perhaps not. I had thought of displaying a message about missing requirements
> in the block, but the block has to be configured first, and that's where the
> errors appear (on the layout screen).

Can you conditionally include Services/Weather.php inside the various functions
of the block that need it (or in one loading method) and abort gracefully if
it's not there? That seems like the best path.

> of a way to display a formatted message for the user indicating what the
> problem is. Pear errors will be displayed at the top of the screen, but will
> they mean anything to a "user" (as opposed to an admin)?

No, and they should be avoided if possible.

> Further, if the metar applet can't be turned off, does that mean the
> Services_Weather package is now required for a horde install?

No. Commenting out the block is a valid option (and equivalent to conf.php
options for other things that require specific extensions).

> OK. Maybe something logged to horde.log? I've never done that before, but
> I'll look into it.

Yup - Horde::logMessage() is a good idea.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"I'm really... I'm not too fascinated by green food." - Average Joe