[dev] Hiding Help entries

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat Dec 20 19:12:20 PST 2003

Quoting John Morrissey <jwm at horde.net>:

> Any further thoughts on this, anyone? For now, I've commented out the
> relevant portions of help.xml in my local installations.
>
> I understand Jan's point about the overhead of having loaded configuration
> and prefs to display help, but something nags at me that it's really
> confusing for users to see things in Help, but not be able to find them in
> the UI.

I agree. Also, we already load session data and preferences to display help,
because we load the correct theme. So I'd be all in favor of a reasonably
efficient way of marking help entries as dependant on a configuration setting.

(I very much think that help entries that are dependant on a preference should
*not* be hidden, but instead explicitly mention how to turn the relevant
preference on/off.)

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"I'm really... I'm not too fascinated by green food." - Average Joe