[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp/lib Tree.php imp folders.php

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Jan 6 13:53:20 PST 2004

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

>   Most importatnly, we just go ahead and build the entire tree when
> initializing
>   instead of marking as discovered/not discovered.  Since we have to do
>   'lookaheads' anyway (to determine if a particular element has children or
>   not) we might as well store this information in the tree at the beginning
>   since, if using a discovery algorithim, we would have to do these
>   identical queries later anyway.

Right... but the discovery code was what made IMP even *useable* with setups
like CMU has, where there are thousands and thousands of IMAP folders
available. Loading every bit of info from the server, when you really just need
the top two levels, is *much* quicker.

I'd really hate to see us lose this.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"I'm really... I'm not too fascinated by green food." - Average Joe