[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: ansel captions.php crop.php gallery.php image.php view.php ansel/graphics error.png ansel/lib Ansel.php Gallery.php Image.php ansel/scripts convert.php ansel/templates/captions captions.inc ansel/templates/list gallery_summaries.inc tile_gallery.inc ...

Ben Chavet ben at chavet.net
Thu Jan 15 19:41:54 PST 2004

>   New backend for storing images.  They are no longer stored as part of a
>   gallery, but are now individual datatree objects.  This structure should
>   allow for better performance.

Well, I seem to be eating my words now that I've committed this.  This patch
seems to have hurt performance a bit.  I did have better performance at one
time, but had to back up a few steps when the categories got changed around.
Now I can't remember what I had done to make it work faster.  I know it can be
done, so I'll keep digging into it.  I do believe this structure is still
better & will scale much better once it is optimized a bit.

Just for referrence, my development machine is a 1.8GHz P4/256MB RAM.  The old
structure took it about 5 seconds to generate my gallery list page.  Right now
it's at about 7-10 seconds, but before I had to backtrack, I had it down to 1-2
seconds.  I'm hoping I can get it back to that mark.  Ultimately, I'd like to
get it to where my PPro200 can generate the gallery list in a reasonable amount
of time.

--Ben