[dev] Pagination in turba

John Morrissey jwm at horde.net
Sat Jan 17 08:49:55 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 03:06:50PM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> That should be fine; you could also fake pagination in PHP, and let
> backends that don't support it natively just inherit that (and might not
> even be so bad, if you cached the first set of search results).

I'm making some progress on this, but I'm running into some problems.

My primary goal in doing this is for turba to handle arbitrarily large
address books. Since turba loads the entire result set at once, that
artificially limits the address book size if PHP's memory limit is enabled.
I'm hoping to have the LDAP/SQL server return parts of the result set,
reducing turba's memory footprint.

However, letting the SQL/LDAP server do the pagination presents problems
because sorting is handled locally with a Turba_List. Because of this, the
server can't return slices of the result set in the proper order. I've
considered doing the sorting on the server side, but couldn't that cause
problems if the SQL server is sorting in a different locale than the user
has selected?

john
--
John Morrissey          _o            /\         ----  __o