[dev] Anyone use the guest services link?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Jan 25 14:19:59 PST 2004

Quoting Rick Emery <rick at emery.homelinux.net>:

> To this point, the only permissions I had ever set up were for the shares (in
> kronolith, mnemo, and nag). After activating the menu, I expected to see no
> applications (since I hadn't set any guest permissions on any applications).
> On the contrary, all of my "active" apps were listed in the menu.

When we first implemented the new application permissions system, the default
was to assume open access if an explicit permission didn't exist. It's been
changed (today in CVS) to assume open access for logged in users, but NOT
guests, if no explicit permission is set. So now the state is: permissions have
to be explicitly set to deny authenticated users from an app, or to grant guest
access to an app.

> So, I decided that I must have to set permissions explicitly for each
> application. I did, creating permissions for each application and allowing
> "Show" and "Read" for those I wanted guests to use, and leaving the others
> empty (for guest permissions).
>
> Now, when I go to the login screen, instead of the menu I get a message that
> imp isn't configured in the registry.

With current CVS, do you see this? If you created a blank permission for IMP,
try either deleting it, or explicitly granting your user/group READ access to
it (if a permission exists, then it's honored explicitly, so a blank permission
basically means deny from everybody).

> 1. Can permissions (or some other method) be used to prevent
> applications from being displayed on the initial (login screen) menu? If so,
> do I have to explicitly create permissions for each application?

This should all be answered above.

> 2. What is the difference between "Show" and "Read"?

SHOW is a lower level of access than READ. It's not really used for apps; the
best example of what it means is in Kronolith, if you have READ permissions to
a  calendar, you get to see all of the events on that calendar. If you only
have SHOW permissions, though, you can only see the times that there are events
- essentially the free/busy information. You don't get to know *why* someone is
busy, though.

> 3. Can anyone share some information that will make the permissions system
> clear to me?

Hopefully the above helps.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"Here, I brought some cole slaw. It's made from peeeooople! Just kidding."