[dev] patch -- frameset menu

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Tue Jan 27 18:18:50 PST 2004

Quoting Ben Chavet <ben at chavet.net>:

>> I changed this because they're not allowed to access apps that they
>> don't have
>> READ perms to. Showing them apps that redirect them to a login screen seems
>> pretty unintuitive, so I'm not in favor of putting this back.
>
> That's no different than how it worked before we removed the allow_guest
> configuration.  If the guest did not have access, they could see the app, but
> would have to log in before they could use it.  The app would redirect to the
> login screen to take care of this.  I don't really see this as unintuitive.

FWIW, I don't agree. I didn't have the menu set to display always, but when the
"Guest Services" link was taken away, I activated it. When I saw that all of
my installed applications were displayed, I sent a message to the list asking
if this was expected behaviour (I found it counter-intuitive). With the "Guest
Services" link, only applications that allowed guests were displayed for
guests.

After the guest link was removed, I configured the menu to always be displayed
(since it was the only way guests could get to apps), and was surprised to see
every installed application listed. It's true that selecting an app not
available to guests produced the login screen (except the anomoly I haven't
traced yet that allowed guest access to troll though not configured for it),
but should it be up to the guest to determine, by trial and error, which apps
are available and which are not? A user with an account is much more likely to
know which applications are accessible and that authentication is needed to
get to it.

> I just think it's a bit misleading to the admin to have a show
> permission that
> doesn't actually show anything...

While it's better not to be misleading at all, I'd prefer it be misleading to
the admin than to the user.

Just my two cents.
Rick
--