IMP Quota command driver, was Re: [dev] Bounties

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 30 20:34:54 PST 2004

Quoting Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com>:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 04:50:08PM -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> > > I prefer 1 for reasons I will explain below.
> >
> > I prefer a third option.  Locating the proper home directory and use the
> > quotas on that device.
>
> Outside of getting the pwnam home dir entry, and then parsing the output
> of mount looking for the partition that house this directory, I don't
> see how to do that.  And even that would be really flaky as the output
> of mount(8) is OS/version dependant.

Now you are starting to get the picture :)

> And, in the meantime, it stay broken for most users.

First, it isn't supported in any current release version of Horde/IMP.
I don't even remember if it is supported in the release of accounts;
maybe, maybe not.

So, you're talking about unsupported code to start with.

Second, how do you know it is broken for most users?  Until you at least
take a poll to find out how many are using it in the old format and
how many want to use it in the new format, you can't really say that.

> No, it would.  Have you read the code ?  I coded it with

I already stated I have not read the code.

> No.  I'm out of here.  I already spent wayyyyyy too much time on this,
> and I can see no end to it if I have to accomodate every convulated
> quota setup possible.

Now you see why no one else has fixed it yet ;)  It *does* take time
to figure these things out...

> Let me resume the situation :
>
> 1. We have a piece of code that is currently broken for some (most ?)
> people.

Correct (for some at least).

> 2. We have a fix that is backward-compatible and will work for the
> majority (I suppose) of people for whom it currently don't work.

I'll have to verify that.  If so, then this could be a temporary solution
until a better one is found.

> So my proposition is on the table.  It break nothing (that I know of,
> that is), including Eric's setup.  It's an incremental improvement over
> the current situation.  I am willing to clean up my work enough to have
> it integrated and that's about it.

I'll test it when I have time, and see how it goes, then post back to the
mailing list my results.

If it doesn't break any existing installs, and if it does work for new
installs, then I'm not against it being committed as a temporary (if
not permanent) fix.

If I could stop this stupid virus outbreak, I'd have a lot more time
for fun stuff like Horde...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics