[dev] Re: [PEAR-DEV] Re: [PEPr] Comment on Networking::Net_Cyrus

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sat Feb 14 05:45:36 PST 2004

Zitat von "Damian Fernandez Sosa (DESC)" <damlists at cnba.uba.ar>:

> Excuse my english.
>
> Yes it can be done, but why? (why a backend infraestructure must be
> done if the
> only difference I see is a dependency on Net_IMAP?)
>
> I Think I can instantiate Net_IMAP as a private object instead of using
> inheritance if it is a problem. Can you tell me what problem do you see?

Ah, now I remember we had this discussion a year or so ago. My comment
indeed doesn't make much sense, because your package uses Net_IMAP that
uses Net_Socket while ours uses Net_Socket directly.

Your package trades code reuse (Net_IMAP) with bloat (and thus probably
performance hit) because users of your package would need to install, load
and parse the huge Net_IMAP class while they only need a very small
functionality from it.

Regarding Etienne's question on dev at lists.horde.org, this package is
probably not necessary if you have a recent imap extension and c-client.

> Quoting PEPr <pear-sys at php.net>:
>

>> Jan Schneider (http://pear.php.net/user/yunosh) has commented on the
>> proposal
>> for Networking::Net_Cyrus.
>>
>> Comment:
>>
>> Do you see a chance to merge it with Net_Cyrus from Horde, letting the
user
>> to select the "backend" being either Net_Socket or Net_IMAP? We
>> would need to
>> use Net_IMAP as a proxy class instead of by inheritance, just like
>> Net_Socket
>> is used in our class.

Jan.

http://www.ammma.de - Neue Wege des Lernens