[dev] Bug in Mail PEAR package trickle down in IMP

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Fri Feb 20 12:49:40 PST 2004

Hi,

I recently post a bug, complete with test-case, in the PEAR bug
database.  You can see at it http://pear.php.net/bugs/bug.php?id=719.
It affect the Mail PEAR package, and trickle down in IMP.  It require
pretty fringe condition to be triggered, but I would not be surprised if
other IMP are also affected.  Basically, when a From: address is broken
on three lines (ie when the name is pretty long and contain 8-bits
characters), it's impossible to send mail from IMP.  The error as logged
is :

    unable to add recipient [@]: Invalid response code received from server [on line 848 of "/var/www/html/horde/imp/compose.php"]

Notice the invalid recipient address [@].

What happen is that IMP_Compose call the mailer driver (in my case,
smtp).  The driver is trying to get the value of the From: header to use
in SMTP negociation.  This step is done by calling
Mail_RFC822::parseAddressList(), which return invalid output in the case
described.  I tried chasing the bug in Mail_RFC822, but the code there
is *way* over my head.

I know the Horde dev mailing list may not be the most appropriate forum
this discuss this issue, but two out of three maintainer of the Mail
PEAR package (Chuck and Jon Parise) are also active contributor to
Horde.  Since this bug trickle down in IMP, I guessed it might be of
interest to IMP users and developpers too.  I posted this bug in the
PEAR bug tracking systems on February 9th and have not received any
feedback yet.

Thanks, and all my apologies again for bringing this here.

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com