[dev] Renaming folders with sub-folders...

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Tue Feb 24 16:34:31 PST 2004

Quoting Marc Jauvin <marc at register4less.com>:

> Very interesting. The only problem I have with this is that it makes the
> interface look buggy to most users (even myself).

disagreed (see below).

> Gary Windham <windhamg at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Marc Jauvin <marc at register4less.com>:
>>
>>> Further more, if I do the following:
>>>
>>>    - create a "test" folder"
>>>    - create a "sub1" folder under "test"
>>>    - delete "test"
>>>
>>> It will not delete the sub-folder (sub1 in this case). It still shows
>>> the "test"
>>> folder and sub-folder. If I then delete test.sub1 directly, then everything
>>> disappears (as it should).
>>>
>>> Something is not healthy in there...
>>
>> This is Cyrus behavior, not IMP behavior.  Deleting a mailbox in Cyrus
>> does not
>> automatically delete sub-mailboxes.

This is the correct behavior.  Deleting a folder should most definitely not
delete all lower subfolders - that would create some tragic results.

And this is not Cyrus specific either - the same behavior occurs with Courier
setups also.  It is an IMAP feature (containers).

michael