[dev] What should we do about GUIDs changing?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Feb 27 11:20:26 PST 2004

Quoting "Jason M. Felice" <jfelice at cronosys.com>:

> I prefer GUIDs to sequences in databases, as 1) sequences have concurrency
> issues which are a performance penalty under heavy load 2) sequences
> don't work in a disconnected or remote synchronization-type scenario.

Okay. I'm going to work on switching Nag, Kronolith, and Mnemo to generate
md5-hashed unique ids instead of using sequences. I'm not going to worry about
old data, because that's just gonna be a mess; as things are, the old ids are
at least unique from each other, so that's going to have to be good enough for
now.

The @server_name would solve those, too, if necessary.

-chuck