[dev] Permissions - possible changes

Jon Parise jon at horde.org
Tue Mar 16 13:29:23 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 03:16:16PM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> 1. Add more permissions levels.
>
> Right now we have PERMS_SHOW, PERMS_READ, PERMS_EDIT, and PERMS_DELETE. Some
> other permissions systems have more levels, and we could potentially follow
> that - PERMS_ADD comes to mind. Other possibilities would be PERMS_ADMIN,
> PERMS_COMMENT, PERMS_MODERATE, etc.

I can see the case for PERMS_ADD (e.g., you can add a bug to a Whups
queue, but you can't view, modify, or delete it), but I don't think
the other possibilities you suggest are necessary.

PERMS_COMMENT, while it seems useful, isn't very generalized.

PERMS_MODERATE and PERMS_ADMIN feel like "roles" that are made up if
existing flags, anyway:

    define('PERMS_MODERATE', PERMS_SHOW|PERMS_READ|PERMS_EDIT);
    define('PERMS_ADMIN',    PERMS_SHOW|PERMS_READ|PERMS_EDIT|PERMS_DELETE);

    (or something like that)

--
Jon Parise (jon at horde.org) :: The Horde Project (http://horde.org/)