[dev] mailbox.php From column formatting and status text

Derek P. Moore derekm at hackunix.org
Tue Apr 6 23:38:49 PDT 2004

I kept playin' with the From column work throughout today, and have made a few
improvements since the last patch I sent in on the subject.  The only major
change since the last patch is the dropping of $msg['to'], it really wasn't
necessary.  The other changes include minor improvements to the logic, etc.

I've attempted to test the code thoroughly throughout today...  It seems to get
all its cases right, unlike IMP's current From column formatting logic.

Here's an easy test to see how my code works where the old code doesn't:

1)  Compose a message to yourself by putting your email address in the Bcc:
field and "Undisclosed Recipient Test 1" in the subject.

2)  Compose a message to yourself by putting your email address in the Cc: field
and "Undisclosed Recipient Test 2" in the subject.

3)  Compare how the two messages are displayed in the INBOX and Sent folders.
See how they're not displayed consistently; how if compose window links are
generated, they open up with two different and improper addresses, when they
probably ought not generate compose window links in the first place; etc.

Now try my code under these conditions and its consistent and proper and makes
sense.  Also, experience the joy of havin' the full From address information in
the status bar, its very useful!  (I also find my rewrite to be more readable
and straightforward than the old code.)

Let me know if this code is improper or unsuitable in any way.

Thanks,

Derek