[dev] DataTree patch - Last

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Apr 23 08:44:39 PDT 2004

Quoting Carlos Pedrinaci <cpedrinaci at yahoo.es>:

> Ok, here you are the latest patches all together in a tar.gz.
> These patches include:
> - DataTree changes
> - SQL scripts changes
> - History adapted
> - Groups adapted
> - Shares adapted
> - Links adapted
> - Agora adapted (Forums and Messages)
>
> Still remain Perms and Signup from framework and the rest of modules.
> Is this looking any good or am I wasting my time?

Carlos - I'm really sorry I took so long to get a look at this.

I'd really like to see this done a different way, one that doesn't
require this
many modifications. I'd suggest something like an optional use of the
datatree_data field to specify the classname, or perhaps an attribute that
specifies the classname (you'd have to be able to fetch attributes,
check them,
load the object, then translate them)?

For one thing, dropping datatree_data will lose anyone's Trean bookmarks as
things are now, so that's a bad thing. The serialized field might indeed be
able to go, though. And it seems like we shouldn't have to store the classname
along with every single datatree object.

Finally, storing a file path in the db seems problematic; it'd mean
never being
able to change file paths, etc.

Basically, I really like the idea, but not the implementation.

-chuck