[dev] MIME Encoding and RFC 2231

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 29 18:13:13 PDT 2004

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> So the issue is do we implement the "correct" RFC encoding or stick with our
> current method.  Although the current method technically isn't
> correct, we have
> never seemed to run into problems before.  Plus, if we start sending RFC 2231
> encoded messages, odds are that 99.9% of people receiving these messages will
> not be able to handle them.  And, add to this that I have not ONCE,
> in the last
> 2+ years, seen this kind of encoding.  And I have been working on the MIME
> stuff pretty much that whole time.

Based on what you say, you stick with the current code for now, but insert
a big comment at the start of it which explains the other RFC format and why
you're not using it now.

That way, the code works for everyone, rather than breaking for almost
everyone, but if mail servers start to catch up with the new RFC format,
we have the comments already there to explain what we're doing and why,
and that it should be converted at that time.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!