[dev] event/note/task/etc. categories/labels

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu May 13 08:48:29 PDT 2004

> What I'm leaning towards now is changing all of our apps that use
> this code to
> simply accept text labels for events (probably giving up on the
> dropdown list,
> though we can just store a list of labels on a per-user basis, too),
> instead of storing a number in the backend.

Jan and I came up with the following on IRC:

- we'll store categories as text in the event/task/etc. records
- users will have a list of categories (global to all of Horde) in their
prefernces.
- shares will also have a list of categories, which comprises the list of all
categories assigned to objects in that share.
- users personal lists will be updated with any categories assigned to shares
they access, to allow them to set colors on them.

> Then, we can maintain colors on a per-user basis, and just keep those
> in prefs, so that each user has their own color scheme completely
> independant of other users, even for viewing the same calendar.

This will stay the same - colors would be completely personal.

If we agree on this, my first step will be to update apps to store
categories as
text, instead of numbers.

Thoughts?

-chuck