[dev] ansel (datathree) limit

Duck duck at obala.net
Tue Aug 17 02:24:57 PDT 2004

On Monday 16 of August 2004 22:17, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Committed; these certainly are useful. But wouldn't be even better if you
> just returned the set of share ids (and cached them in the session), and
> then only loaded the shares for the slice of the pager you were displaying?

For later use yes. But my idea was about a fast count method. If we select IDs
it will be the same as DataThree::getByAttributes() or Share::listShares, the
difference will be only that getByAttributes returns the datathree_name too.
And in large amount of data (I'm testing it on cca 40k galleries with 300k
images) it results as a very slow operation.

I meant to enlarge the DataThree::getByAttributes() with the optional limit
parameters that raprestents the SQL "LIMIT" parameters. I think the we must
reduse the amount of transfered data from backends. It is "system friendly"
to select many times slow amount of data, than make one big flood. Or at list
we must support both options, and leave to the module programmer  the
decision, which method to use.

But I don't know when I will do it. Tomorrow  I am going on holiday (sailing)
for tho weeks.

Duck