[dev] help/options links

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Aug 26 10:46:48 PDT 2004

Quoting Roel Gloudemans <roel at gloudemans.info>:

> OK, here is a patchset for the Horde framework. Next to the online help en
> options links I also took in the Problem link.

Problem is already controlled by $conf['menu']['apps'].

> This is what I did:
> 1) Removed configuration for "User constraints" (only online help was
> in here)
> 2) In "Menu" I created three new options, "online help", "options" and
> "problem". Each can have the value of "never show", "show only
> toauthenticated
> users", "show all users". I think this is the most consistent approach.

Except for problem, as noted above, I agree.

> 3) In the Prefs class a new method "showLink" was added to determine
> if a link
> should be shown

Maybe make this like Help::listLink(), so that it returns the URL as well?
(takes an app as argument).

> 4) The portal menu was modified to honor the Options setting
> 5) The "Menu" class is extended with 2 new methods named "createProblem" and
> "createOptions". I didn't create a "createHelp" method, because this would, I
> think, create a dependency between the "Help" and "Menu" classes (don't
> know if this is wanted or not)

I'd rather have the prefs one in the prefs class, and createProblem would be
removed per above.

> 6) The skeleton menu.inc template was modified to acommodate the
> above changes

Yay! ;)

> 7) The "prefs" service was adapted to honor the setting for the
> options link. It now gives a forbidden message when the "Options"
> link may not be shown.

Cool.

> 8) The "Help" class was adapted to the new configuration setting for
> online help

Yup.

> What I not yet did was:
> 1) Remove problem from the Horde registry (I think is t is no longer needed)

Hmm, I guess I could see going that way, but I also like having it
controllable
on a per-app basis. Thoughts?

> 2) Adapt all Horde apps (conf.xml and menu.inc) to the new Horde settings

What would be needed in conf.xml for the apps?

> I will do these after I've improved the current patches based on
> feedback from the list.

One other minor request: please put all of the patches for related work like
this into one file. It's a hassle to look through 7 different patch files and
apply them all in sequence.

-chuck