[dev] [patch] horde/templates/javascript/tree.js

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Wed Sep 15 17:23:11 PDT 2004

> Quoting Marc Jauvin <marc at r4l.com>:
>
>> What about this way of doing it (the pointer will change to an up/down arrow
>> indicating the "expansion" of the menu...
>
> Hrm. Anyone else have thoughts on this? I'm on the fence ...

Here's the problem I have with it (though nobody else has complained, so maybe
it's not really a problem):

I *really* missed clicking on the labels to expand them, and am glad to see it
return. I'm not happy, though, with the "overloaded" functionality; by which I
mean that some labels are headers that expand, and some are links to
applications (which also expand, but you can't click on them to make it
happen).

Here's an example: I updated from cvs this afternoon, then logged in. I
clicked
  the "Mail" label to expand it, then clicked the "Inbox" label to expand it.
The problem is that the "Inbox" label didn't expand, it took me to my inbox in
IMP. I know the mouse cursor changes to differentiate links from
labels, but by
the time it registered I had already clicked it. The same thing could happen
with "Organizing" -> "Calendar", and any other tree "blocks" that get added in
the future.

I just think it could be confusing, and I'm sorry I don't have a solution.

Thanks for taking my input.
Rick

P.S. I like having the labels clickable, but I run at 1600x1200 resolution and
have never had a problem clicking the expansion ("+" and "-") icons. If the
feeling is that they make too small a target, maybe the graphic between the
expansion icon and the label could also be made an expansion "link", so that
clicking anywhere on the "+" or the graphic would expand it. That wouldn't
make the label clickable, though, so it won't really make everybody happy.

--
Rick Emery

  you will always long to return"
                                               -- Leonardo Da Vinci