[dev] Release plan

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Sep 24 12:19:33 PDT 2004

So, this is my release plan:

Note that this matters only for the applications of the first release round,
i.e. Horde, IMP, Turba, Ingo, Chora, Kronolith, Nag, and Mnemo.

I'm going to release the BETA versions next week. We will then enter the
"major feature freeze mode". That means that only bug fixes and small
feature enhancements and completions are allowed to be committed.

After one to two weeks I'll start the release candidate phase. Release
candidates will be released once per week until we think they are stable
enough to release the final versions. During this period we are in complete
feature freeze mode, i.e. only bug fixes, documentation and translations are
allowed to be committed.

I reconsidered the original branching plan and will now try to avoid
branching as long as possible, ideally until the final releases, for two
reasons: To avoid the hassle of merging as long as possible, and to force
us to spend our time on bug fixes. This goes a bit beyond the nature of
volunteer oss development but this phase will only last for a few weeks and
we won't get the releases out of the door in this life otherwise.

Comments?

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/