[dev] Release plan

Dominic Ijichi dom at ijichi.org
Sun Sep 26 11:20:41 PDT 2004

Quoting Roel Gloudemans <roel at gloudemans.info>:

> I like the tabs. It could be a useful feature to add to the interface. The
> "iconbar" on top now contacts icons which call up other pages (e.g. in IMP
> Inbox; Folders; Options) and icons which call up popup windows (e.g. Help;
> Compose (depends on setting))

i think it's always worked like this, if i understand what you're saying.

> We could make the Icons that call up other pages within the same application
> show up as tabs and the icons that call popups as icons.

fundamentally, this has nothing to do with icons, but of menus and menu levels.
 i intensly dislike 'popup' windows, so my hack of this old codebase removed the
ability to popup a compose window and forced it into a tab.  things like help
buttons are, I presume, a context sensitive popup that therefore doesn't belong
in the menu system.  at the time I hacked this old code the help system wasn't
really working anyway, so i left it out..  IMHO, menu choices shouldn't popup
new windows, although this may occasionally be acceptable for random interface
buttons (such as a help button).  i think this is sort of what you're implying..

Jan has recommended I wait until at least RC before rehacking, so I'll start
playing when a beta arrives, and see what happens :)

dom