[dev] Release plan

Duck duck at obala.net
Wed Sep 29 06:27:25 PDT 2004

I agree with cleaning API and concerting on bugfixes. What I miss in
update of the online Help too. There are too many features, that an average
user don't even know that exists and in the outdated help aren't explained.

I general I miss applications feature list on horde web page too. Oky horde is
well known for its imp module, but that are many framework functionalities
and applications that are useful and on the pages are bad or not explained.
If we want to enlarge the number of programmers that uses Horde and of course
submit patches, we should give them an easy general preview. No one would
like to loose days to read entire docs or mailing lists, just to see how the
things are and how are going on. I experienced this on myself and when I
tried to engage my coworker.

This is not important only for potential contributors but for companies
that would like to sponsor the project. I found that he webpage presentation
is too concentrated on/to developers. If I am a company, I would like to have
a clear view of project status, features and plans before I invest in it or I
use it for developing my applications. Believe me, I got exactly this problem
when I tried to persuade my company to choose Horde for a base to developer
some apps.

Another problem is the bounties management. Oky. I don't know how this part in
internally managed and of course on one works full time on Horde, but is the
main problem is that is not defined that if the company sponsor a bounty it
never knows when it would be implemented. An this for a company that makes
planes, is a big problem. Is not a matter of time or bounty values, just a
problem of planing a company project. I don't know hot to deal with this
issue but I think if we solve this in one or another way, that the project
would receive more bounty sponsorship.

I have one idea to enlarge Horde project usage, denvelopment cotributions and
conectivity to economical resources. I now it is not pure OS concept but an
bussines idea should be discused, science we must all live from someting. I
see that with bountes, an idea of economical support started so my ideas are
not in so wrong direction.

Maybe would not be an bad idea to allow some programers which created
comercial product/modules based on Horde to offer itd directly at horde.org.
So we have still the actual modules in OS plus someone that are not free (or
only the litter versions are free). Of course, every copy sold, shoud return
an percentage to the horde project/team.

I would give a pratical example. I writed some modules with Horde (I can send
screenshots).  One is an articele managment sistem with multilingual and
multiversion support. And the other is an Mapserver frontend to display GIS
data (with features like adding points, configrable layers attributes...).

I think that this two modules would be intersting for a lot of companies and a
Horde project will benefit with incluson of them. (I belive that are may
others who have good and intersting  "commercial" modules.) But I wont give
it free, science I would like to earn with them at (least to maintain the
modules). So what I (and the others)  can do. I publish my modules horde.org.
And for example if I sell a module from horde.org and the module costs 100
units. I give 20 units back to horde team.

I think that this relationsip is not so difficult to addopt. And both sides
would get benefit. Denvelopers that sold their poroduct based on horde. And
Horde project/team with financial stimulation and patches/contrbutions that
the other denvelopers will produce with their work.

Duck