[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: ansel/lib Gallery.php

Ben Chavet ben at chavet.net
Tue Oct 19 15:04:16 PDT 2004

>> If I had to choose, I would probably go with using ID's just because
>> they have less potential of being too long to remember.
>>
>>    http://www.example.com/ansel/image.php?image=12345
>
> I think I agree, but why would you need to remember this? Shouldn't
> this all be done by code?

If you browse to the picture through the horde interface, then there is
no good
reason to have to remember it.

> I could, of course, be missing something.

Giving a direct link to a friend, or posting it on a website, are the only
reasons I can think of.  Neither method really has any great advantage
over the
other, so if I had to choose, this would be why.

Of course, I haven't done any real benchmarks, so if there is a performance
benifit to using names, that would change my mind pretty quick.

--Ben