[dev] Re: [core] Horde 3.x plans

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sun Oct 24 07:25:28 PDT 2004

Moving this to the dev@ list to hear some more opinions.

The discussion is about suffixing application names with a short token that
is related to the Horde version this application is compatible with. The
goal is to make it easier for people to follow which application version
goes with which Horde version.

Zitat von Jon Parise <jon at horde.org>:

> On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 12:59:52AM -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
>
>> >There's yet to make a decision on the version naming.
>>
>> Yup, I had the message sitting in my inbox for the exact same reason. :)
>>
>> >I currently see three options:
>> >1) IMP 4.0
>> >2) IMP H3 (4.0)
>> >3) IMP R3 (4.0)
>> >
>> >Any votes, opinions, better ideas?
>>
>> I like either 2 or 3. I think H3 is a little more distinctive
>> ("Horde 3"), but I could go either way.
>
> I like 2, as well.

Another thing comes into play: we considered keeping backward compatibility
only within minor versions, i.e. IMP 4.1 might no longer work with Horde
3.0, but would require Horde 3.1.

So in the end this would lead to version strings like "IMP H3.1 (4.1.3)". Is
this still what we want for simplicity?

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/