[dev] Take back CSS padding change?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Oct 24 17:52:36 PDT 2004

> I think we should revert the global-padding-reset-css-change. I really like
> the idea behind it but there are simply too much issues that can't easily
> be resolved. It breaks too much layout so short before the beta releases.
>
> One major thing is table padding. Using the css rules like now, the
> cellpadding attributes of the hundreds if not thousands of tables we use in
> the layout become meaningless, i.e. are being ignored. To fix this we need
> to locate each table not using the default padding we set in the td rule
> (1px currently) and set a class name for them with a nested tag selector
> that sets the original padding. This would probably take days, so we should
> at least revert this until the beta releases and make a new attempt after
> that.

It also solves a *lot* of browser consistency issues, so I'd like to
keep it if
at all possible. I'm willing to do some triage work going through the main set
of release apps and fixing tables. We can also set a default set of
padding for
tables and then set ones that *shouldn't* have padding to our nomargin class.

If we were going to give up on it entirely, then I could see taking it
out (but
would still like to keep it if possible), but if we'd put it back after the
betas, then I can't see taking it out - we want people to use the betas
to help
us fix stuff like this.

-chuck

Quincy Adams