[dev] New new.png for Kronolith

Derek P. Moore derekm at hackunix.org
Tue Oct 26 18:17:58 PDT 2004

I've never thought Kronolith's New Event icon to be very intuitive.  All those
"1"s all over the page sort of clutter out all the more relevant numbers.

I think a new icon would improve Kronolith, as removing visual "number clutter"
would improve aesthetics, and an icon that visually suggested the concepts of
"new", "add", calendar entries, and dates would improve usability.

I've begun playing around with "new icon" ideas, and I've come up with a few I'd
like to share and get feedback on.

Attached are a series of PNGs and XCFs (XCFs are so people have access to the
layers for easy editing, if they want to help improve the icons).  The
new.tar.gz archive will extract out into the directory './new/'.

'new*.png' are made from 'new-event.xcf'.  I'm now thinking along these lines,
'cause I think this series looks a bit better than the others.  It still needs
work however.  Maybe someone around here is more artistic than I.

The other files (new.xcf, newnew.xcf, newnewnew.xcf, newnewnewnew.xcf) are my
first four attempts at a new icon.  I sort of like the idea of these attempts a
little better, but I just couldn't get the yellow sparks to look good or be as
visible as needed.

What does everybody think?

Derek