[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp folders.php imp/lib VFolder.php imp/templates/folders vfolder_actions.inc vfolder_foot.inc vfolder_head.inc vfolders.html

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Thu Oct 28 19:01:36 PDT 2004

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at curecanti.org>:

> slusarz     2004-10-28 18:54:08 PDT
>
>   Modified files:
>     .                    folders.php
>     lib                  VFolder.php
>     templates/folders    vfolder_actions.inc vfolder_foot.inc
>                          vfolder_head.inc vfolders.html
>   Log:
>   Add rename and delete options to the virtual folders.

I am still torn between putting these virtual folders separately (as I have
done) and putting them in the folder tree.  Obviously, the advantage of having
it in the folder tree view is that the virtual folder looks just like a
regular
folder. Additionally, there is some duplication of code needed to generate the
second table, etc. so keeping it in a single view would help there also.

However, the issue is that these virtual folders are obviously not a regular
mail folder and will never ever have the same exact feature set as a real
folder.  For example, you will never be able to copy or move messages to a
virtual folder.  We can never import a mailbox into a virtual folder.
Deleting
a virtual folder should definitely not be treated the same as deleting
a regular
folder (i.e. all messages that appear in the current view should not be
deleted
when a virtual folder is deleted - instead, the virtual folder view itself
should be deleted only).  Putting them in the folder tree gives the false
impression that somehow these virtual folders "reside" on the mail server -
when someone accesses the mail server via a different MUA, they may be
confused
as to why the virtual folder doesn't appear there.

In short, adding the virtual folders to the folders screen would seem to cause
more confusion than benefit.  However, I personally am still open to
persuasion.

That being said, I guess I am looking at virtual folders as more of a "saved
search" feature than anything else.  I'm just looking for input from other
users as to whether this is a good or bad thing, and whether my UI/useability
concerns make sense.

michael