[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: kronolith month.php [patch attached]

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Nov 28 08:36:40 PST 2004

Quoting "Derek P. Moore" <derekm at hackunix.org>:

> 1)  It increases code complexity.  Not too much, but just enough to make the
> lazy programmer look for the next excuse so as not to implement all that
> complexity...

No.

> 2)  It's nearly impossible to internationalize the title attribute if
> you go the way of $attr.
>
> Well, I suppose it's not 100% impossible, but I would have to call
>    Horde::img('new.png', '+', 'title="'._("Create a New Event").'"')
> "nearly impossible".

... no. Works just fine.

> You could also move internationalization of the title attribute into the
> Horde::img() function itself.  But that would be so obscure for
> translators as
> to be deemed "nearly impossible" as well.  (Besides, would something like
> _($title) even be legal?)

No. And obscurity for translators isn't the problem; translators use
*tools* to
pick out the strings, they don't look for them by hand. This would make it
impossible for those tools to find the strings, thus breaking translation.
Obscurity has nothing to do with it.

-chuck

Quincy Adams