[dev] Safari and unicode

François Helly fhelly at bebop-design.net
Wed Dec 22 01:42:08 PST 2004

>> I tested the framework with Safari :
>>
>> _SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]
>> Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/125.5.5
>> (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
>>
>> _SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT"]
>> */*
>>
>> No _SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET"]
>>
>> so the 'utf' feature isn't applied at all
>> to this user agent (it does support utf)
>>
>> maybe we have to hardcode it in Browser::match() ?
>
> As Jan said, if you can dig up a test for it. I just took a look to see
> if this
> would be easy to do before releasing Horde 3.0, and I can't find any
> mention of
> Safari support for UTF8, there's nothing in the browser headers, etc.
> Anyone?

Sorry, but I can't  find nor the version number when UTF-8 support
started
neither any agent match expression.

I searched google, apple sites, etc. and I can't find any mention of
UTF8 support for Safari.

The only things I'm quite sure of are:
- the full unicode support seems to be planned by apple for all
applications released with OsX;
- Safari is  built upon KHTML and KJS and KDE 2 supports unicode before
Safari was released;

So I tried to patch Browser.php and all works as expected (see attached
diff).

François

NB: I tested this patch only with the latest version of Safari (1.2 <=>
v125)