[dev] Horde and LDAP in a different way.

Ola Lundqvist opal at debian.org
Sun Jan 2 12:37:33 PST 2005

Hello

I'm in the process of making horde, imp and turba capable of
using users in different basedn.

I have made a patch to allow it to have preferences in any
user matching a uid=user criteria by letting it search for the
DN if it can not authenticate to the uid=$user,$basedn.

I have one user at
uid=test,ou=People,$basedn
and one user at
uid=ola,o=opalsys,$basedn

The reason for this is of course that I want different people
administrating different parts of the LDAP tree.

Patch can be found at:
http://www.opal.dhs.org/involved/patch/horde/

I want to add possibility to have address book under the
binddn, and many more things based on the DN that the
user actually bind to (not just the username).

I can fix this by searching for the user dn in any place this
is needed, but then I need to do a LOT of searches.

Istead I want to be able to save the DN that the user is
authenticated against, just like the $conf...[binddn] but
based on the authenticated DN and not a statically determined one.

What is the best way to do this?
Is there a way to determine this from imp and turba
as well so I can reuse this for such tasks there.

I also want to be able to add users using the users DN. Right now
this is done by a static configuration 'rootdn' and I want
to be able to use the current authentication as I can configure
LDAP this way. In this case I would also benifit from having
the possibility to get the user DN (can not find) and user password
(already possible).

Best reagards,

// Ola

/  opal at debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal at lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |