[dev] Horde and LDAP in a different way.

Ola Lundqvist opal at debian.org
Tue Jan 4 11:05:12 PST 2005

Hello

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 08:32:40PM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Ola Lundqvist <opal at debian.org>:
>
> >I'm in the process of making horde, imp and turba capable of
> >using users in different basedn.
> >
> >I have made a patch to allow it to have preferences in any
> >user matching a uid=user criteria by letting it search for the
> >DN if it can not authenticate to the uid=$user,$basedn.
> >
> >I have one user at
> >uid=test,ou=People,$basedn
> >and one user at
> >uid=ola,o=opalsys,$basedn
> >
> >The reason for this is of course that I want different people
> >administrating different parts of the LDAP tree.
>
> Okay, sounds good.
>
> >Patch can be found at:
> >http://www.opal.dhs.org/involved/patch/horde/
>
> You don't need the DataTree patch, btw; that's been fixed in CVS.
>
> >I want to add possibility to have address book under the
> >binddn, and many more things based on the DN that the
> >user actually bind to (not just the username).
>
> K.
>
> >I can fix this by searching for the user dn in any place this
> >is needed, but then I need to do a LOT of searches.
> >
> >Istead I want to be able to save the DN that the user is
> >authenticated against, just like the $conf...[binddn] but
> >based on the authenticated DN and not a statically determined one.
>
> Well, you could have LDAP auth objects store the authenticated dn, and, if
> config options are set, query the auth object for it? I don't feel like I
> have
> enough of a grasp on LDAP/what you're trying to do to suggest more.

I have thought about this option and I think it is the best way to do
it. I assume that this information is available when the config file
is sourced. If so that will be the best way to solve this.

Is it a good way to add this functionality to
getCredentials or is adding a new function better? I just want to ask
before I do this so I do not break some of the design.

Like:
$binddn = Auth::getCredential('binddn');

Regards,

// Ola

> -chuck
>
> --
> "But she goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy." - John
> Quincy Adams

/  opal at debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal at lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |