[dev] Install script ideas

Barsalou barjunk at attglobal.net
Thu Jan 27 23:10:28 PST 2005

Jan said:

>IMO, the script first should bootstrap itself similarly to the go-pear
>script by getting the necessary base classes from the CVS server via HTTP.
>It should then check the system, similar to test.php (and probably using a
>common set of test, no idea yet how to implement that though). If necessary
>it should offer to install PEAR, necessary PEAR packages, and upgrade
>existing PEAR packages.

>After requesting the necessary information from the user it should download
>and install the tarballs, create the configuration files, run SQL scripts.
>It might be a good idea to run application-specific tasks by calling setup
>scripts bundled with the applications.

I like the idea of having an install script that each application uses to do the
install for the module.

I'm not sure what are considered the base classes.  Are they in the horde tar?
Is it only the framework stuff?  Isn't the framework included in the horde
"production" tar?

Do we really want to be using CVS?  I guess that would provide the latest
changes.

We could use the naming convention that is currently being used namely the "h3"
part, instead of a seperately maintained list of available modules.  Something
that signifies production versus beta, etc.

How about adding a new status in the Administration->Setup screen, like
"application not installed"?  Maybe follow that with an info link and an install
link?

The info link would display a short bit about the application.  The install link
would go get the "production" tarball and do the things it needs to do

We can load the framework initially, and it will provide access to the
configuration screen.

Mike B.