[dev] Spacing between menu <div> and content

Roel Gloudemans roel at gloudemans.info
Sun Feb 6 08:05:30 PST 2005

> Zitat von Roel Gloudemans <roel at gloudemans.info>:
>
>> At the moment, almost each template (menu.inc) file specifies a <br
>> /> after the top menu has been sent to the browser.
>>
>> This causes a problem when creating a template in which you have to
>> set the distance between to top menu and the page content. Isn't it
>> better to specify a bottom margin for the #menu css class and erase
>> the <br /> tags from the templates?
>
> That would have been a better solution, but changing this now would
> break the layout for people that don't upgrade everything at once. A
> solution would be to set the #menu margin in the applications'
> screen.css, but that would be a lot of redundant CSS code.

I think this is not as bad as it looks. If the margin is set in all
available themes, the only thing that would happen is that the spacing
between menu and content gets a bit bigger (I recommend 10 pixels). But
since it was not possible to control the spacing anyway almost nothing
will be lined out with it.

After updating the apps, the spacing will be smaller again. If now is
not the moment to do it, I'll submit an enhancement to bugs.horde.org,
if not I volunteer to create a lot of patches.

Cheers,
Roel.