[dev] Re: Transplanting CK-ERP to the Horde Framework

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Mar 6 09:14:10 PST 2005

Quoting C K Wu <ckwu at cheerful.com>:

>> With that argument, shouldn't the FSF be saying that the phpgwapi must
>> be GPL, also?
>
> I am not sure.  However, phpgwapi is listed at savannah as a separate
> project issued under LGPL.

Sure, but CK-ERP is a seperate project too, right? :)

> That certainly helps.  I guess that means I would have to study each API
> call very careful and try to avoid as far as possible calling
> non-framework applications.

I may have been unclear here - the "framework" is just libraries. It's
only if you want to interact with other Horde applications (via
$registry->call($method, $args) that you can be calling GPL code. There
are some places (like MIME Viewers) in the framework that will check
for an API and use it if it's there. So you might have to watch out for
those, but you can also just zero out any APIs that are not provided by
your application, and then Horde will work as if they aren't there.

> At the demo site, after logging in, when accessing each module, the
> index page will show a full page of info.  At the top of the developer
> column, there is a clause,
>
> <quote>
> <module> is GPL software. If you display this -- Welcome to <module> --
> page exactly as it is, or display this same page's translation (into a
> different language), without loss of meaning, then you may redistribute
> and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
> published by the Free Software Foundation.
> </quote>
>
> It is this clause that is under contention.  Since the index page
> contains various pitfalls and shortcomings of CK-ERP, I insist that this
> index page should be retained in any re-distribution of CK-ERP for the
> benefit of final CK-ERP end users.  FSF doesn't like this condition,
> therefore concludes that CK-ERP is not GPL compliant.

Huh. Pooey on them, I guess, but that's my gut, uneducated reaction. :)

-chuck

Quincy Adams