[dev] Re: Horde 3 docs and framework capabilities

Greg Rundlett Greg.Rundlett at savaJe.com
Wed Apr 6 08:03:19 PDT 2005

--------------060600080005090605070108

Michael M Slusarz wrote:

>Quoting Greg Rundlett <Greg.Rundlett at savaJe.com>:
>

>>I am finding a real lack of documentation on the Horde, perhaps due
>>in part to the fact that 3.x is relatively new.
>>

>Have you tried: http://dev.horde.org/ ?

Please don't take my comments the wrong way.  This post is meant to be
constructive.

I have been frustrated recently by *many* open source projects that are
'successful' in that they have a decent community and adoption, but that
still don't have good documentation.  As an observer of the Tiki[1]
project for a long time, I know the difficulty with producing good
documentation, made all the more challenging when things evolve rather
quickly.  I decided to write this post because I hope that the existance
of API docs does not lure horde developers into complacency with the
belief that there *is* documentation for people looking to use their
code.  I am writing this post to encourage all Horde developers and
contributors in whatever capacity to do what they can to create more
documentation for the project.

Greg Beaver could attest that I am a big fan of phpDocumentor, and he
would also point out (as he does in the tutorial on using
phpDocumentor[2]) that it is only a tool that helps create good
documentation.  There are so many files, classes and methods in a large
project like Horde, that reading API docs is not a practical way of
getting familiar with the code and how to use it.  For the horde, the
API docs need to serve as a reference, not a guide.  Even then, there
are many gaps in the API docs that don't make for good reading.

Ideally, the code comments would be full of reference information, and
examples so that the API docs *would* serve more as a guide than mere
reference.  It's a difficult task to get everyone to do it, and some
folks are better trainers than others so there are varying degrees of
quality in documentation depending on who wrote the documentation.  (I
myself still haven't taken time to fully learn how to incorporate the
examples and references that way that they are intended to be used by
the phpDocumentor system.)   What needs to be added are things like
Jan's step-by-step walkthrough of accomplishing a task (creating an
application using the Horde framework).  Reference architecture
diagrams, program flow and data dictionaries, etc.

The wiki is a tool that has been used successfully by both Tiki and
Seagull[3] to address "Howto", and reference information.  The benefit
being that community members who do not necessarily contribute to the
code, can still write up a story of "how I did X with the horde".  The
downside is that organizing and maintaining accuracy can be a challenge,
plus it's not coupled with the code, so it's bound to fall out of date
if nobody maintains the wiki.

One of the problems I've seen with the Horde documentation is that the
Administrator FAQ is badly out of date (still referencing things like
phplib and 1.X versions of the horde).  I understand the need to keep
this documentation for users who for some reason do not upgrade their
installations, but surely this information needs to be separated out
into version-specific files so that as a new (3.x) user, I don't need to
read through and be confused by old/contradictory information.

I am sure that Horde developers are familiar with these issues, and
obviously there is only so much that any single person can do.  I am
sure that I am 'welcome to write the documentation' or contribute to the
solutions instead of whining about the problems.  Actually, I am trying
to help by opening this discussion. :-)

[1] http://www.tikiwiki.org
[2]
http://manual.phpdoc.org/HTMLSmartyConverter/HandS/phpDocumentor/tutorial_phpDocumentor.pkg.html
[3] http://seagull.phpkitchen.com/docs/wakka.php?wakka=HomePage

--
Greg Rundlett

Release Engineering Team
SavaJe Technologies
(978) 259-2029

[random sig fortune]
transparent, adj.:
	Being or pertaining to an existing, nontangible object.
	"It's there, but you can't see it"
		-- IBM System/360 announcement, 1964.

virtual, adj.:
	Being or pertaining to a tangible, nonexistent object.
	"I can see it, but it's not there."
		-- Lady Macbeth.

--------------060600080005090605070108

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...