[dev] Locking mechanism for shared Horde resources?

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Sat Apr 9 19:31:06 PDT 2005

I looked and can't find one (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist) but does Horde
have any sort of locking function/class, for determining whether someone can
access a shared resource?

Think Shared Notepad.  User A opens a note to add an additional thought to it.
User B decides they want to add something to it too and they open it up.
Whoever saves last, gets their thought saved...

Or User A has access to User B's calendar.  User A has a need to make a change
to an event on User B's calendar so they are in doing that.  User B decides to
do the same thing.  However saves last, has their changes put into place..

If something like this was implemented, there are potential problems with tying
up a shared resource with a lock - browser crash, user closes browser with
resource open (i.e. quits browser but doesn't logout of Horde).  But there are
also potential problems if I'm editing something that my secretary also happens
to be editing and her changes overwrite mine..

Is this an isolated and mostly non-issue?

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator